Medicare Savings Programs
QMB, SLMB, AND QI PROGRAMS:
- The Qualified Medicare Beneficiary program - (QMB)
- Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiary program - (SLMB)
- Qualified Individual program - (QI)
Helps Medicare beneficiaries of modest means pay some or all of Medicare's cost sharing amounts (i.e. premiums, deductibles and co-payments).
HOW TO QUALIFY:
To qualify, an individual must be eligible for Medicare and must meet certain income and resource guidelines which change annually on April 1 of each year.
QUALIFIED MEDICARE BENEFICIARY PROGRAM (QMB) PROVIDES THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS:
- Payment of Medicare Part A monthly premiums (when applicable).
- Payment of Medicare Part B monthly premiums and annual deductible.
- Payment of co-insurance and deductible amounts for services covered under both Medicare Parts A and B.
(Note: Medigap premiums are not covered by QMB, SLMB, or QI.)
SPECIFIED LOW-INCOME MEDICARE BENEFICIARY PROGRAM (SLMB):
- Provides payment of Medicare Part B premiums to individuals who would be eligible for the Qualified Medicare Beneficiary Program, except for excess income.
(Income must be more than 100% of the federal poverty level (FPL) but not exceed 120%.)
Qualified Individual program (QI):
- Pays the Medicare Part B Premiums of low-income Medicare beneficiaries with incomes between 120% and 130% of the Federal poverty level.
You can also visit the Benefits Checkup website and click on "Get Help Now" under Medicare Rx Extra Help to apply online.